Monday 12 January 2015

Brianna Horton and the professor that sounds like Mary Poppins.

Monday: first day of classes. That’s right, I actually came here for classes. I definitely didn't want to come here for adventure, or to live in a castle, or to drink a Guinness in Dublin. My education comes first above all things. Also, it is very easy to lie when people can’t see your face. Our British professor’s name is Christine, and she sounds like Mary Poppins. I feel bad yawning in front of her, because I feel like I’ll insult her dainty British nature. She’s adorable.

I’m sitting in the rec room reflecting on the last few days. I have just about mastered skype, though the advances of iPhone FaceTime still elude me. I did get to chat with my parents and William yesterday, which was nice. I was a bit worried that William would forget who I am. I know he doesn’t understand exactly where I am or what I’m doing, but it’s nice to hear him and hear him say my name and acknowledge who I am. I have begun to embrace my new home, now that the initial home-sickness has passed. I still miss home, but it was 48 degrees outside today. I mean, come on. That’s awesome.

The BBC crew was going all-out today; I passed a guy dressed as a king on my way out to buy groceries and school supplies. After I had passed, I really wished I had bowed to him and said, “yer majesty.” My roommate disagreed with me about how funny it would have been. We wandered around town checking out all the shops, since we were both done with classes by noon. The beauty of this town leaves me in awe.

There is a street in St. Cloud- St. Germain, from 5th Ave down to…9th I think- that is full of these great little shops. I interned for the art crawl last summer and got to know a bit about the area. The shops are great, but the area is struggling because of the malls and wal-marts in St. Cloud that people go to instead. My favorite part of Alnwick is the absence of these large stores- the entire community is little shops. Yes, it took me all day to find a three ring binder and some folders (that I didn't end up buying, England has weird folders!) but walking along the entirely cobblestone town was adventure enough to fill an afternoon. I didn't take any pictures, because despite the warm temperatures, it was VERY windy today.

Friday is our first field trip- Edinburgh, Scotland. As excited as I am to go, I’m more excited to come back to Alnwick Friday night. Many of the students are staying the night and coming home Saturday, but we meet our fake adoptive family on Sunday, and I plan on visiting Edinburgh on one of the week-long breaks we are given. I’m excited because I plan on going out and about Alnwick Friday night without the drunk kids asking Alnwick locals “what the best futbol team is” or asking them to call each other a wanker. That seriously happened- I was so embarrassed. Young drunk kids are idiots- I was one once upon a time, but I hate going out with them now that I’m all old and not fun. I’m looking forward to getting to know the locals without having to apologize every few minutes. Also I think it is stupid to rent a hostel and buy a bus ticket just so I can drink in Edinburgh Friday night instead of Alnwick, but as I say, I’m old and no fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment