Sunday 11 January 2015

Brianna Horton and the Plane ride that would never end. Okay, it did end, but it didn’t feel like it was ever going to end.

I woke up this morning feeling less than excited. Upon my arrival to Alnwick castle, I picked the bed by the window- because hey, it’s a castle, why wouldn’t I want to look out the window? As it turns out, castles are a bit drafty (shout-out to Amy Jo for suggesting I bring a blanket. You saved my life last night). Next to my leaky window sits my twin-sized bed. Twin sized. I’m an adult, you guys. Immediately I miss my queen sized memory foam mattress. I roll over- a difficult feat on such a small surface, and look at the window. I start thinking about how much warmer it would be in here if I could put up a window kit, and I immediately miss home.

I start to think about my sleeping roommate across the room. I lucked out with my roommate- we’ve only known each other a day, but she seems really down to earth for being 18. Her age is what I dwell on- she’s 18, I’m not. In fact, I’m a few years older than 18, and a few years older than most of the other participants of this trip- not many, but enough to make me want to call all their mothers and tell them they can’t behave themselves Why did I let everyone convince me to come here? No one understood that I felt irresponsible coming over here, and now I’m stuck feeling this way for four more months. Dear sweet baby jebus in the sky, what have I gotten myself into…

I roll out of bed and get dressed- we’ve been given some pretty full schedules for the first week, and breakfast is being served in a half-hour. I walk out the door and begin to cross the outer Abby of the castle. The keep and the inner abbey are off-limits to us right now, as the duke and his family are staying here. It’s very windy this morning, but the sun is trying its best to shine (not a common occurrence in England) and it’s a balmy 42 degrees- much warmer than in Minnesota. As I concentrate on not falling over the cobblestone roads in this 700 year old castle, I find myself perking up a bit. Maybe this wasn’t such a bad idea after all.
That's my roommate. I'm a great photographer.

Breakfast goes by, and I head back to my room to drop off my coat before orientation starts. In the courtyard sits the biggest cat I've ever seen (well, my Benny might be bigger, but he’s also very fluffy). He is loving all the attention he’s getting from all the pitying Americans that are surely wishing they had saved a scrap of food for the poor thing (we come to realize his name is Bunyip and he is the most spoiled cat in all of Britain).

again, fantastic photographer. we're not supposed to be taking pictures, I went quick...

After our Director, Wade, goes over academic policy and procedure, we learn about fire safety.  One thing about the brits- they don’t mess around with fire safety. Each of us has been given an id card to hand to the guards before leaving the grounds, in case a fire breaks out. If they have our ID card, everyone knows the student is probably safe getting drunk in town and not burning to death in the castle.

After our orientations and a quick lunch (by quick I mean I ate fast, not there wasn’t much to eat-dear god do they FEED us here) my roommate and I (and another girl- I’m awful with names) head out to town to buy all the things we realized we’ve forgotten. Near the end of town is an old train station that has been converted into a used book store- barter books.



I've been looking forward to going here since right after I decided to go to Alnwick. The place is beautiful- not as big as I thought it would be, mainly because a majority of the place is a cafeteria now, but impressive nonetheless. We wander about for a while, but realize that we have more orientation activities in about a half an hour and should really be heading back to the castle.





This orientation depicts mainly a lecture about alcohol; the main point being “don’t be an idiot” which may be hard for some, but I don’t’ feel like will be a big problem for me. Many people are planning the night’s escapades at dinner, but one girl says she found a tunnel under the castle- I opt for that route. It ends up being a combination of the scary shower room from saw and some stone mortuary tunnels from a horror movie I have yet to see, and really don’t want to. There are skylights with ivy growing in them that promise day lit adventures to come, so we hightail it out and promise ourselves we will return when it is less scary.

After that we find ourselves in the rec room. The TV plays a British version of America’s funniest home videos that are just as ridiculous as American versions. On the table I find a book of journal entries from past students from Alnwick. The book starts in 2004 and ends with the last class. Each entry is about the same: places to visit, people to meet and advice for passing tests and studying for one professor or another. Throughout the book, there is one message that is the same, no matter who is writing: cherish the time you have here, because it goes by fast. 

I read through the book quickly; when I’m finished, I feel much better. I’m not sure if I’m comforted by all the experiences I’ve just read about from past students, or the knowledge that I will be home before I know it, but I know I feel better. Whatever the reason. I slide into bed feeling a bit perkier. A few thoughts and some emotional skypes may have bummed me out today, but this is going to be the opportunity of a lifetime, and I need to take advantage of it. First thing I’m going to do tomorrow?- go get some more blankets. Christ, is it freezing in this castle!



No comments:

Post a Comment